Brexit: Or the Probability of Fear in an Uncontrolled Environment

So again, I haven't posted in a few weeks, and that's on me, but I've been travelling a great deal, and I just haven't really had time to address this stuff. So - quickfire round on my opinions of world news lately:

Brexit. Those people who don't live in the UK or EU may have no idea what it is, but it's going to have a huge effect on Britain and already has, so if you're interested in world politics, it's quite a fascinating clusterfuck. Basically, those politicians asking Britain to leave the EU convinced them to vote using lies and half-truths which shouldn't surprise anyone by now. What surprised me, however, was that they bought it hook, line and sinker and Britain is now "brexiting". How? So many of the lies were disproved early on in the campaign, and yet people still voted out. A large population of those who voted out were those in the older generations, and most of those who voted in were millennials, and that honestly just shows the messed up nature of this event - those people who've already had their chance to run the country well and now have only to retire have screwed it up for the rest of us who must learn to live with a decision we cannot change now.

Trump. Urgh, come on guys, seriously? How is he still even close to as popular as he is? A man who has mouthed off about the people of Mexico, threatened to build a wall to keep immigrants out, accused Obama of lying about... everything, made incestuous remarks about his daughter, told a lawyer she was disgusting for asking to take a break to pump breastmilk, turned a political debate into a discussion on his penis size, and could not find a single supportive thing to say about a Muslin couple whose son had died for the US. For the best information, see John Oliver's outraged reaction to him.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUCnjlTfXDw

Job hunting. Since moving here I have mostly been travelling and acclimatising, but now my money is drying up and I need a job, so I have been undertaking the task of selling my skills to people - to almost no avail until this week, when I received an interview. Job hunting is the worst, and I sympathise with anyone who hates it as much as I do.

Suicide Squad. COME ON - IT IS REALLY NOT AS BAD AS THE MEDIA IS MAKING IT OUT TO BE. God, it's really a perfectly fine movie for a bit of fun and was way, way, way better than Batman V Superman - by FAR.

Driving. Being able to get myself places is pretty awesome, and driving in the UK is so similar to driving in Australia that it's really been no issue at all - hurrah!

Homesickness. While I am still severely missing my friends and family, and wish I could bundle them all up and bring them here, I really don't find myself missing the country of Australia at all. I suppose the place you live always finds its worth in the company you keep there, not the location itself. Of course, this means that if I do not find friends or stable income in the UK, I will be forced to return home, because there would be no reason to stay, but I very much hope that will not happen - I love it here.

Song of the Week: Heathens - Twenty One Pilots
A great song from the Suicide Squad soundtrack, with some damn good lyrics that made me miss my friends more than ever. A brilliant song for road trips, which is handy when you have to drive to get literally anywhere worthwhile from this gorgeous little village. Cool ass lyrics help: "All my friends are heathens, take it slow..."

Movie of the Week: Teen Titans 
Okay, so it's a TV show, and a cartoon at that, but it's really damn good, okay! From the original Cartoon Network line-up of the early 2000s, it sits alongside such greats as Fairly Odd Parents, Justice League, Powerpuff Girls and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (& many more). It's absolutely fantastic, has some brilliant voice acting, particularly from Tara Strong as Raven (who incidentally, also voiced Timmy Turner in Fairly Odd Parents and Bubbles in Powerpuff Girls) and is just generally enjoyable to watch.

Book of the Week: Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
More cheating, because technically this should always be my book of the week - as it's my favourite book - but I have been clinging to it lately, particularly this week, because I always read it when I want to escape; the language soothes me and the romance is brilliant for all the right reason (for the best version of Pride and Prejudice DO NOT WATCH KEIRA KNIGHTLY VERSION - much as I respect trying to bring Jane Austen to the forefront of cinema, it became popular for all the wrong reasons and ignored many important parts of the book in favour for more easy to tell story-lines... bleurgh). If you want to see a perfect retelling, look no further than the 1995 Colin Firth version: a near-perfect rendition.

Photo of the Week:
Is of my day out by myself, just being relaxed and learning to be comfortable in my own skin. It was still difficult, but in the end I did enjoy myself and my lovely coffee from Queenies.


Positivity Goal of the Week: Congratulate yourself when you achieve something
EVEN SOMETHING SMALL. If you cook a meal by yourself, mow the law without prompting, finish a book, write something good, sing a song without missing a single note - I stress a lot about small things, but I never congratulate myself for the same things if I do them right, so that is the goal for the next few weeks... to be conscious of the things I do right, rather than dwelling on those I've done wrong.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Panophobia

Never Forget

Panophobia Chapter 4: Thoughts about Anxiety